Info about the Project
There are four main activities by which New INDIGO will attain this goal:
1. Implementing and monitoring a call for collaborative research projects.
2. Developing a success scenario for future S&T cooperation and thereby analysing the potential as well as drivers of and barriers to this cooperation. This is done by the implementation of a Policy Foresight Study.
3. Screening of ongoing S&T cooperation between and identification of research hotspots in India and Europe. A respective database of institutions in Europe and institutions in India and existing bilateral programmes has been setup.
4. Sharing experience with other geographic Era-Nets and identify opportunities for mutual beneficial cooperation between India and thematic Era-Nets as well as between India and NCP-projects.
Background of the project
Regarding its rising importance not only in economical and political terms, but also from a scientific point of view, India has been quoted a strategic target country by the European Commission.
Since the signature of the Europe-India Science and Technology Agreement in November 2001 a Joint Action Plan has been drawn up and EU-India summits in S&T are held in order to promote this cooperation. It was quoted in the India-EU Joint Statement of 30 November 2007 that effort should be consented towards the creation of joint infrastructure for advanced research and funding systems for symmetric programmes for promotion of S&T collaboration. It was also stated that leaders would welcome strengthened partnership initiatives such as joint projects with co-investment of resources in selected fields of mutual priority.
On the other hand longstanding scientific cooperation between India and certain European countries, especially France, Germany and UK, is vigorous and fruitful. Despite these facts, relationships with India in R&D have not been harmonized so far at a European level. There is little multilateral S&T cooperation between the European Union and India, and there is no dedicated programme of cooperation between these two big scientific poles.
- New INDIGO Leaflet (.pdf, 1.79M)